Rates and Reservations
Includes dormitories, limited access to laboratory facilities, utilities, and Internet access. Use of additional laboratory space, installation of equipment requires prior approval. Chemical waste disposal and additional materials may be charged separately.
- $20 person/day in large rooms (first floor)
- $40 per room/day for up to 2 persons in smaller, second floor rooms ($20 for each additional person in these rooms)
- $100.00 person/week (second floor rooms $200 up to two persons. Plus $14 daily for each additional person )
- $300 person/month (second floor rooms, $600, plus $10.00 daily for each additional person )
- $150 field trips (20 or less participants)
- 7% tax may apply
Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States and baggage on flights arriving from the mainland U.S. is not subject to examination by Customs, but plant and animal material leaving the island is scrutinized by the U.S.D.A.
Mata de Plátano Field Station and Nature Reserve, established thanks to a grant from the National Science Foundation, is administered by Inter American University of Puerto Rico (IAUPR) under agreement with the
environmental organization Ciudadanos del Karso (CDK).
Any alteration requires prior approval from IAUPR. Appropriate collecting permits should be obtained from the Puerto Rico Department of Natural Resources and Environment, and from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in the case of federally protected endangered species. Evidence of all appropriate permits must be presented before the onset of any project.
The station is open to researchers and students. Researchers and course instructors should include a brief research proposal or syllabus in their reservation request and describe general objectives, methods, duration, dates, space needs and other special requirements.